Match End

Kents Slider 1

Welcome to Kent Schools’ Cricket Association

Kent Schools’ C A is run by volunteers. VIEW MORE

Cricket, lovely cricket

Have a love of cricket?

See our ‘Can you Help’ page

Archive Reports of 2011


The Ford Cup Final – 2011

The Judd School v Yardley Court School

Judd won the toss and elected to bat, on what promised to be a fine afternoon at Rodmersham CC. Yardley Court’s bowling attack was quite tidy and contained the batsmen in the early stages of the innings. Matt Barker, one of the openers patiently batted through this spell, until the drinks interval at 15 overs. Thereafter Judd accelerated with Barker’s 69 and a contribution from “the Walker brothers” of 56 from 45 balls between them; finishing on 183 for 7, from their 30 overs.
After tea Yardley Court’s reply stuttered in the first few overs as Barker showed a similar flair for bowling, with an early breakthrough. Judd’s field placings applied a great deal of pressure, allied to some athletic fielding and only Jack Prideaux managed to exert control and authority whilst at the crease. The pressure told and as the run rate climbed Jack “holed out”, on 25, at extra cover as he tried to accelerate the scoring rate. Despite a plethora of wides in the final stages of the innings, Judd secured what turned out to be a fairly comfortable victory when Yardley Court were all out on 101, with a few overs to go.
Congratulations to both teams for the standard of cricket and their performances that got them to the final. Of course thanks also go to the umpires, Alan Jones and Keith Hemstalk, as well as Rodmersham Cricket Club.
Good luck to The Judd School, who go on to represent Kent in the 2012 David English Trophy.

U12 20/20 Cup Final – 2011

Chatham House GS v St Olave’s GS

Despite concerns about the weather forecast and heavy rain at many places in Kent, Upchurch CC enjoyed a fresh windy day with some sunny spells and an occasional but inconsequential flurry of light rain.
Chatham House won the toss and elected to field. An early breakthrough, from a run out, put the pressure on St Olave’s but this was alleviated by the bowlers taking time to realise that short pitched bowling on a good track invited punishment. In Keeran Rajendran (70), St Olave’s had a batsman to exploit such opportunities and he proved the mainstay of a challenging total of 164 for 6; Sajeevan Thavakumar with 2 for 26 being “the pick” of the Chatham House bowlers.
Chatham House’s reply also suffered the setback of an early run out, but their batsmen displayed superior running between the wicktes and they maintained the required run rate by taking “every run that was going”. The St Olave’s fielding was effective and one significant over saw 3 wickets fall; setting Chatham House on the backfoot. They did, however, manage to recover and get back on target with the required run rate. The St Olave’s bowling, though, proved solid enough and wickets continued to fall. Jack Hurley’s 3 for 9 from his 4 overs epitomised the pressure generated from the good line and length that they maintained; Chatham House finishing on 124 all out.
Congratulations to both teams for reaching the final; producing a game worthy of the occasion and the setting. Thanks to Upchurch CC and also to umpires Stuart Chilmaid & Mike Fielder, standing in his first Kent Schools’ cup final.

Bowlers exploit slow wicket to dominate the 2011 Thomas Cup Final!

Following very wet weather in the previous 10 days we are very grateful that Rodmersham CC managed to stage the final on the appointed day. The wicket, unsurprisingly, was slow and low and the battle between the bowling attacks from Judd & Eltham College had the key effect on the outcome of a game reduced to 30 overs each, with an eye to the weather.
In a light shower, Eltham won the toss and immediately invited Judd to bat. The rain stopped, the covers came off and Rickesh Rajamenon, struck in the very first over, setting Judd on the back foot. The Eltham skipper ruthlessly utilised his bowlers, to keep the pressure on and Judd were struggling on 39 for 4 from the first 11 overs. The pressure was maintained, beyond drinks, with outstanding offspin bowling from Bolarin Adidipe ( 6 ov, 3 m, 1 for 4) supporting Rickesh’s efforts ( 6 ov, 2m, 3 for 11). Judd’s James Toomey (58 n.o.) decided to preserve his wicket so that the full 30 overs would be used and his patient building of an innings, through the odd shower of rain, allowed an 0nslaught in the last 10 overs, taking the score from 54 for 5 to 132 for 6.
Eltham must have been optimistic, chasing just in excess of 4 an over, to win. Judd clearly had other ideas and the skipper juggled his bowlers well, despite opener (Toomey) carrying a back injury. Steady pressure began to tell and Eltham reached 11 overs, 2 runs shy of the Judd effort but with only 3 wickets lost. All the bowlers maintained a good line and length and the fielders supported their efforts; so that the asking rate gradually climbed above 6 an over and Eltham lost 3 more wickets whilst adding a more modest 61 from the final 10 overs, of their innings; leaving them on 112 for 7, 20 runs adrift.
Thanks and congratulations to both teams for an absorbing tussle, which maintained the spectators’ interest throughout; the catering manager of Rodmersham CC and the umpires, particularly Terry Lister, standing in his first KSCA final.

U13 20/20 Cup Final – 2011

Dartford GS v The Skinners School

On a fine day for cricket, at Upchurch CC, Skinners won the toss and elected to field; exploiting the psychology of a heavy defeat, inflicted earlier in the seaon on their rivals. Dartford, however, put the earlier game out of their mind and maintained a very respectable run rate, in the face of some tight bowling and aggressive fielding; this despite the unfortunate run out of an opener with just the second ball of their innings. Dartford finished on 105 for 9 with Alex Copp (22) and Kerron Salvaratnam (17) the middle order run makers; whilst Hamish MacRae ( 1 for 10 from 4 overs) lead the attack and the supporting fielders produced 3 run outs.
The Skinners reply also showed resolute batting in the face of tight bowling and fielding from a Dartford side that had reached the final on the back of similar fielding performances. Ollie Pragnell ( 4 overs for 12 runs) underpinned the early Dartford pressure although the required run rate was maintained and started to accelerate in the 14th over, until the fall of Tom Burgess (40) and Jake McGroaty (33) produced some tense final overs. Two run outs and Richard Blatchford (1 for 14 from his 4 overs) returning to finish his spell “cranked things up”. The final over started with 3 needed to win and two dot balls until bowler Hamish hit a lofted cover drive for 4, Skinners finishing on 107 for 5, with just 3 balls to spare.
A thrilling final, for the neutral observer, dominated by very good bowling and fielding perfomances from both sides; which drove parents and coaches towards nervous exhaustion. Congratulations to Skinners on their hard fought win and commiserations to Dartford whose battling spirit contributed to such an enthralling and close contest.
Thanks to Upchurch CC for a fine pitch, outfield & catering facilities and also to umpires Mike Fielder & Stuart Chilmaid.


Sandwich Technlogy School v Tonbridge School

Tonbridge won the toss and batted first. At the start of the match conditions were good, the sun was shining and the wicket hard and dry. Tonbridge started well, and helped a little by some wayward bowling had made 33 off 6 overs before thunder and lightning and a very heavy downpour ended play for almost 2 hours.
Hard work by the Tenterden groundstaff and an improvement in the weather, enabled the match to restart with reduced batting of 25 overs per side. Tonbridge continued to bat steadily, maintaining a good run rate. Sandwich found fielding difficult with a damp ball and slippery pitch and missed some crucial chances. Most of the Tonbridge batsmen contributed to their final total of 180 for 6, notably Cameron MacGregor who scored 55.
Sandwich lost early wickets including their star batsman, Ryan Davies, who had scored over 400 runs in earlier rounds of the competition. Subsequently they did not find run scoring easy. Nick Winder, the Tonbridge captain, and Bart Foster, who took 3 for 15, restricted Sandwich to 67 all out.
In view of the weather around the county we were very lucky to complete the match and much credit must go to the Tenterden Cricket Club for allowing us to continue play after the heavy rain and to umpires Colin Hill & John Widgery, whose judgement of when to put the covers on preserved the wicket in a playable condition.
The cup and medals were presented to the teams by Micky Oliver; son of Colin Oliver who first presented the cup to the Kent Schools Cricket Association.
Good luck to Tonbridge, who go on to represent Kent in the 2012, Lord’s Taverners Trophy.

Nail biting climax to this season’s U14 Twenty/Twenty Cup

Dartford GS v Sir Roger Manwood’s School, Sandwich

The match was played at the excellent Tenterden CC ground. Manwoods batted first on a good track and put on over 50 for the first wicket. Good bowling by Sam Compton, whose 4 overs cost just 7 runs, made Manwood’s work hard for their runs. Although all the Manwood batsmen scored runs, a good stand between the Smith brothers took them to 153 for 2; Alex being the leading scorer with 41 not out.
Dartford batted steadily in their reply and were always up with the required run rate. All their batsmen started well but only Joe Scott (40), was able to take his score on. At the start of the last over Dartford required 9 runs to win, but could only manage 8, equalling the Manwood’s score and they lost the match because with tied scores they had lost more wickets; the closest of finishes. Sir Roger Manwood’s School 153 for 2; Dartford Grammar School 153 for 5.
Our thanks go to the Tenterden Club for hosting the final yet again and to the umpires Mathew French & Evan Stirzaker for their excellent work.
Congratulations to Sir Roger Manwood’s for their composed fielding perfomance in a tight finish and commiserations to Dartford, who got so close.

The mother of all finals!

The Miskin Cup Final this year was a tremendous game of cricket, between Cranbrook and Sir Joseph Williamson’s, Rochester.
Despite the recent rain Upchurch CC provided an excellent wicket and fast outfield; so that when bowlers pitched too short the batsmen found the boundary easy to reach. Cranbrook batted first and were indebted to an U14 player, Alastair Smallwood, who stroked and smote 83 runs to underpin posting a target of 178 for 6, in their 20 overs.
Sir Jospeh Williamson’s response seemed to stutter almost immediately with the early loss of an opener. Astute batting and, at times, daring running between the wickets allowed them to keep in touch with the required run rate. Although they lost some wickets at crucial times, all of their batsmen proved capable of keeping things moving along. With 3 overs to go the game appeared to have slipped away from them but the back up bowlers of Cranbrook clearly felt the pressure and the required strike rate of 42 runs from the last 3 overs remained a distinct possibility; their final total being 171 for 8.
Our thanks to the umpires, Allan Jones and David Lapthorne, who remained calm and unruffled amidst the frenetic action of the closing overs.
An enthralling game with mums, dads and coaching staff suffering adrenaline fatigue during the closing stages of the 7 run victory.
Congratulations to both teams: Sir Joseph Williamson’s for posting the highest losing score in the competition’s history, one that would have been good enough to win in 3 of the 4 previous years and to Cranbrook, worthy winners, who go on to represent Kent in the regional and hopefully national rounds of the competition.

Bowlers Broiled at Tenterden

King’s Canterbury v The Skinners School

Tenterden CC hosted the Miskin Plate final, on 5th July, providing their normal “road” of a wicket. The outfield was, as ever, fast and the requirement for bowlers to maintain line and length, with the support of their fielders, was paramount. Both teams had solid batting line ups, so the outcome was always likely to be decided by which fielders chased the ball down most effectively.
The King’s innings of 178 for 5 posted a score that won Cranbrook the Miskin Cup, 3 weeks earlier, and was a challenging total, based around James Meddings’ 78 not out.
Skinners were unfazed by such a task and steadily approached the run chase, taking singles where the opportunities arose and punishing the bad ball with efficiency. They did lose two wickets but in the latter stages accelerated the strike rate when Tom Corner (62 not out) was joined by twin brother Dan and they passed the total with an over to spare, finishing on 182 for 2.
We were fortunate enough to have two former Kent stalwarts, Alan & Mark Ealham, watching the game and they presented the medals to the finalists and the trophy to Skinners for their 8 wicket win.
Thanks to umpires Evan Stirzaker & Matthew French for their contribution on a hot day and of course Tenterden CC and their ground staff.

No need for nail scissors in another tense finish!

Lemon Cup Final
The Skinners School v Sir Joseph Williamson’s, Rochester

The postponed final was blessed with a windy day but the promise of rain in the late afternoon. A little local difficulty caused a late start and the game was prudently reduced to 30 overs each, with an eye to the weather forecast. Skinners won the toss and elected to bat but found the going difficult with the ball swinging and in the face of tight fielding from the Rochester side. Despite losing some early wickets Skinners persevered and opener Nick Manser (55) proved the mainstay of the innings with Dave Green (37) helping to accelerate the run rate when it was needed. Carl Oliver (with 1 for 19 from 6 overs) and Aaron Robertson (with 1 for 16 from 5) helped to keep the score down to the “getable total” of 148 for 8.
Sir Joseph’s seemed confident that the target was within reach, as did most of the neutral spectators, and almost weathered an excellent opening spell from Matthew Green (overall figures of 1 for 9 from 6 overs) without loss. Skipper Hugo Parnell (64) anchored the innings but the change bowlers continued to apply pressure; notably Jack Wood (2 for 22 from 5 overs). Some rash strokes seemed to have cost Sir Joseph’s dear, although batsmen 5 & 6 steadied the ship, supporting the skipper as he passed 50. Then, just as they looked comfortable and were accelerating the strike rate “the wheels came off”. Hugo mistimed one of the “bad balls that take wickets” and only Aaron Robertson managed to keep his head as numbers 8, 9 & 10 tried to force the pace when it was not needed. At this stage the confidence returned to the Skinners team and they scented a victory as the last pairing, of Aaron & Ryan Sokolov, required some 30 runs from 5 overs, with the prospect of opener Matthew Green bowling his last two overs. From this point on “hearts were in mouths” in both camps but the batsmen survived and we came down to the 4th last over finish of this summer’s finals; with 4 runs needed. One wayward delivery and it was dispatched to the backward square leg boundary, for victory.
Rain spots began to fall during the last 4 overs, so our thanks go to the umpires Stuart Clay & Barry Hulks, who remained calm and unruffled in the tense “last five”; to Wye CC for their hospitality and their catering manager’s sterling efforts; but principally to both teams who provided an excellent, hard fought game of cricket, which all players can look back on with pride in their performance.

Oustanding bowling performance makes final a one-sided affair.

Both Cranbrook and Sir Joseph Williamson’s had beaten several good opponents to reach the final.
The weather was good; sunny spells and cloudy interludes.
Sir Joseph Williamson’s batted first and had made a respectable 40 for 2 after 11 overs, in the face of losing a very early wicket and some tight bowling from Cranbrook. Enter Hamish Cloke who, in a “golden spell” of pace bowling either side of the drinks interval at 17 overs, collected figures of 8 for 18; Sir Joseph Williamson’s succumbing for a total of 78.
Lunch was taken early and when the game resumed Sir Joseph’s faced an uphill struggle; although they were buoyed up by the knowledge that they had dismissed one traditionally strong side for 16 in one of their group matches. The Cranbrook batsmen, however, remained confident and rode their luck; achieving the required total without loss in 15 overs.
Commiserations to Sir Joseph Williamson’s who collected their medals from KSCA vice-chairman, David Summers, and congratulations to Cranbrook for their ruthless and comprehensive perfomance on the day.t principally to both teams who provided an excellent, hard fought game of cricket, which all players can look back on with pride in their performance.