Match End

Kents Slider 1

Welcome to Kent Schools’ Cricket Association

Kent Schools’ C A is run by volunteers. VIEW MORE

Cricket, lovely cricket

Have a love of cricket?

See our ‘Can you Help’ page

Archive Reports of 2015

Cup winners in 2015

Detailed match reports appear below.


Competition Winner Runner up Date
Summers Cup (U11) New Beacon Wellesley House  16th June, 2 pm
U12 20/20 Sir Roger Manwood’s Ashford  9th July, 11 am
Ford Cup (David English) Simon Langton New Beacon  2nd July, 1 pm
Thunder Cup (U13 20/20) Wilmington Judd  9th July, 2:30 pm
Thomas Cup (U13) Langley Park New Beacon  1st July, 1 pm
U14 20/20 Eltham College Norton Knatchbull  7th July, 2:30 pm
Oliver Cup (ESCA U15) Tonbridge St Olave’s  30th June, 1 pm
Miskin Cup Eltham College Skinners  23rd June, 2 pm
Miskin Plate Norton Knatchbull Sir Joseph Williamson’s  7th July, 11 am
Lemon Cup Sir Roger Manwood’s Langley Park  8th July, 11 am
U19 League Sir Roger Manwood’s Langley Park  1st July, 11 am



Miskin Cup Final Report, 2015

Despite a cloud burst on Monday afternoon the final, on Tuesday at Wye CC, was set for a prompt start on a firm dry track. Travel chaos for cross channel traffic culminated in the M20 being closed so the umpires were waiting, wondering if they had the correct day and time.

Fortunately both teams arrived, shortly afterwards and we were able to get under way, just 20 minutes behind schedule; with Eltham College winning the toss and electing to bat first, in their second consecutive final.

After 3 overs this seemed a wise decision and after 10 a dubious one as the Skinners’ captain switched his bowling to bring on semi-final star Jed Wilton (4 for 9 from 4 overs) and spinner Harry Gripper (1 for 11 from 4 overs). Pressure told and a sharp run out put Eltham on the back foot as wickets fell at uncomfortably regular intervals. Bertie Page, rallied the lower order with an enterprising and ultimately significant 21 not out as Eltham finished on 90 for 9 from their allotted 20 overs; co-incidentally the same run tally as their team had managed in the 2014 final. Other batsmen who reached double-figures were Arran Khanna (15) and Owen Davies (12).

Neutral observers were expecting a controlled and successful run chase, with winning scores in most recent T20 finals frequently exceeding 125; and for the first few overs of the Skinners’ response, it looked that way.

The Eltham skipper, like his counterpart, changed his bowlers around, however and Thomas Gallo’s spell of left arm spin proved to be a miserly and decisive performance with 3 for 4, from 4 overs. He was supported by Henry Bains who took 3 for 13 from 3 overs as the Skinners’ batsmen were pressured into hitting themselves out of trouble, with almost inevitable consequences and they finished on 63 all out from 16 overs; with Christian Bryant (14), Jed Wilton (10) & Ollie Brinton (12), making double-figures.

A tense final for coaches and spectators alike, in which the dominant bowlers, from both sides, were left-armers who changed to round the wicket during their spell.

Our thanks, as usual, go to Wye CC for their customary, excellent hospitality and to umpires David Lapthorne & Terry Lister.

Congratulations to Eltham College and good luck to them as they progress to the regional rounds, for this year’s national competition, with an away tie at Merchant Taylors, Northwood.


Miskin Plate Final Report, 2015

As last year there was the threat of some showers at Tenterden CC, for the Miskin Plate final and as the start time approached a light one came along. However the wicket was kept dry by the covers and the briefness of the weather interruption allowed us to get started by 11:30 am.

Sir Joseph Williamson’s won the toss and elected to bat, with every expectation that the damp outfield would dry rapidly, giving Norton Knatchbull a damp ball to bowl with early on. The expectation was well founded and Sir Joseph’s got off to a good start posting 57 before the 3nd wicket fell in the 10th over.

The Norton change bowlers managed a breakthrough, which saw quick wickets fall until the middle order, with a determined bout of controlled hitting restored the momentum, to the innings and pushed the score into the 90s, with 4 overs to go. Norton then struck back taking some good catches and Sir Joseph Williamson’s finished on 105 all out, in the 20th over; Henry Pelling-Smith taking 1 for 8, from his 4 overs and Andrew Kingston 3 for 15 from his. Sir Joseph’s batsmen who made important contributions were Harrison Hume (23), Josh Hatton (17) and Adam Holbrook (15 n. o.).

The total to defend would require a good fielding performance and the probability that Norton would have to be bowled out before the 20 overs were up.

Norton also got off to a good start with the help of some wayward bowling and had reached 52 for 2 from 7 overs before a couple of inexplicable run outs put them on the back foot and at 12 overs they were 71 for 6. A belligerent 16 from Jack Hardy restored the momentum, the score reaching 96 for 7, in the 15th over and Norton reached their target in the 17th. Notable bowling performances for Sir Joseph’s were Josh Mepsted’s 1 for 11, from his 4 overs and Toby Carr whose spin bowling during the pressure overs 14 & 16 yielded 1 for 6 from the 2 overs as well as contributing an excellent direct hit for one of the run outs.

Congratulations to Norton Knatchbull, on their win.

Our thanks to Tenterden CC for their habitual, excellent hospitality and to umpires Evan Stirzaker & Stuart Clay.


Oliver Cup Final Report, 2015

St Olaves batted first on a glorious day at Tenterden Cricket Club. The early batsmen made steady progress but managed to get themselves out with poor shots. They eventually progressed to the dreaded 111 where they lost 3 wickets and were all out for 116. Swastik Gupta scored 42 for St Olaves and 4 Tonbridge bowlers took 2 wickets each, the best return being from Josh Hogan who took 2 for 5 runs.

The Tonbridge batsmen were never in trouble and easily made their target in 16 overs without losing a wicket. Josh Hogan scored 52 not out and Harry Dix-Perkin 57 not out.

Our thanks once again go to Tenterden CC for hosting the final; to our umpires Terry Lister & Stuart Clay and to Micky Oliver who came to present the trophy.

We wish Tonbridge good luck when they progress to represent Kent in the national stages of the ESCA/ECB U15 competition in 2016.


U14 T20 Final Report, 2014.

Norton Knatchbull GS batted first on a good pitch at Tenterden CC. Their early batmen made steady progress and then a good stand of 80 runs between Toby Milloy 37 not out, and Anamol Limbul 31 not out, took the total to 127 for 4 wickets. Rich Trew the Eltham wicket keeper stood up to all bowlers, including the quickies and took 3 stumpings.

The Eltham College innings progressed at a good rate and they reached their target with 3 overs and 6 wickets to spare. The main contributors were captain Ken Dixon (with 40 not out), James Sawkins (28) and Rich Trew with a quick fire 20 not out.

Thanks once again go to Tenterden CC for providing a great pitch and a super tea, and to the umpires Stuart Clay and Evan Stirzaker for officiating, in their second match of the day.


Thomas Cup Final Report, 2015

On a blisteringly hot day, reportedly the hottest this decade, New Beacon took on Langley Park in the final, at Rodmersham CC.

Langley Park won the toss and fielded, despite the heat and their decision proved to be a well-placed confidence in their bowling attack.

New Beacon struggled to come to terms with a consistent line and length as 7 batsmen were bowled or lbw. Harry Bevan-Thomas with 21 and Dan Howlett (14) managed to show some poise and control; whilst the Langley bowlers Sam De Vaux with 3 for 15, from his 5overs and James McGruer (2 for 12 from 4) led the attack, as New Beacon were bowled out for 69 in the 23rd over; other significant bowling contributions coming from Irvine (2 for 17 from 5 overs) and East (2 for 15 from 6).

Defending such a total on the customary, fast outfield at Rodmersham was always going to be an uphill struggle. Joe East (17), Daniel Murrell (17 n.o.) and McGruer (21 n. o.) looked comfortable as they set about the chase and Langley reached the required 70, for 2,  in the 18th over with Ed Surgey (10 runs from 5.2 overs) making an outstanding effort to stem the flow, along with Bevan-Thomas (1 for 20 from 6).

Congratulations to Langley Park, on their win; thanks to Rodmersham CC for their hospitality and also to the umpires, Barry Hulks and Andrew Mumford.


Thunder Trophy Final Report, 2015

Once again, The Thunder Trophy Final proved to be a tense affair, the closest of this summer; with the result in doubt until the penultimate over of the clash between Judd and Wilmington GS.

Judd batted first and got off to a good start, with opener Sam Ward living up to his status as a Kent squad member. An uncharacteristic shot, however, gave a steepling top edge which was well held and from then on Judd batsman played themselves in and then out as Wilmington skipper Marcus Ritson juggled his bowling changes to good effect. James Wykes with 1 for 3 from 4 overs was tight enough, but eclipsed by Karanjot Singh’s 4 for 5 from his 4 overs; hitting the stumps all four times, with his inswing bowling and Judd were all out for 87 in the 20th over; with important contributions from Harrison Coe (15), Shane O’Donnal (13) and Wilf Rutter (13).

The Wilmington response was characterised by the steadiness of Ritson’s measured innings (36 n.o.) as he weathered the storm of Ward’s very quick and accurate opening spell (2 for 12 from 4 overs). The Judd fielding was always tight, but Ritson’s judgement of the quick singles proved sound and despite a few scares Wilmington “got home” in the 19th over with Robert de Allie (12) the other major contributor to the total, along with some dozen extras.

Congratulations to Wilmington, a new name on a Kent Schools’ trophy and commiserations to Judd, who fought tooth and nail to defend their modest total, on the customary, fast outfield, at Rodmersham.

Our thanks to Rodmersham CC for their hospitailty and to the umpires William Arnold and Terry Lister.


Ford Cup Final Report, 2015

On a sunny but muggy day at Rodmersham Cricket Club, a relatively low scoring final proved to be, for the connoisseur, and absorbing and fascinating contest with the advantage see-sawing between the protagonists.

The forecast rain showers made one brief appearance in the first innings; but with the covers quickly on, it was almost immediately time to take them off again.

Simon Langton batted first and got off to a good start with the batsmen Charlie Walker (22) going for his shots and Nathan Fox (19) taking the anchor role; after 7 overs there were 41 on the board, before the first wicket fell. The introduction of Harry Bevan-Thomas’s left arm spin brought about a spectacular change of fortune: during his 6 over spell Fox watched partners come and go as 5 wickets fell, knocking the middle order completely out of their stride and it looked as though a very modest total would be posted. Ed Glover (14) & Sam Ford (14) mounted a determined rear-guard stand; which was assisted by some wayward bowling from the later New Beacon bowlers and they managed a score of 121 all out in 25 overs, with Alastair Scott-Kilvert (10 not out) being the other significant batsman.

New Beacon’s reply was punctuated by 2 early wickets, but Bevan-Thomas batted with grace and style to cement their reply. The required rate got lower and lower but, having completed a very competent 50, a rush of blood resulted in Harry being bowled without further score. With the score in the mid-eighties; 5 wickets left and 12 overs remaining, New Beacon still seemed favourites to win. Simon Langton, however, sensed that their chance had come and their fielders increased the pressure on the new batsmen, which steadily grew as wickets fell and the run rate climbed; though never above 5 per over. Nathan Fox, with 1 for 14, from his 6 overs was well supported by Ned Stattersfield (2 for 21 from 6), Charlie Walker (3 for 17 from 5) and Liam Durrant, who closed the innings with 1 for 19 from 5.1; New Beacon finishing on 106, with Sam Collens (14), Freddy Knox (12) and Ethan Roach (13) being their other run getters.

For the neutral spectators a tense and hard fought affair.

Congratulations to Simon Langton who will be Kent’s representative in next year’s, national, David English (U13) competition.

Our thanks go to Barry Hulks and Terry Lister, standing on their second & third days respectively of very hot weather this week and, of course, to Rodmersham CC for their customary, outstanding, hospitality.


U12 T20 Final Report, 2015

Ashford School and Sir Roger Manwood’s won through to this year’s T20 final, on a sunny day at Rodmersham Cricket Club.

Ashford batted first but found the Manwood’s fielding in a miserly mood; with many fine shots from the Ashford batsmen stifled by the attacking ring of fielders. The majority of the Ashford batsmen, however, made important contributions; Benedict Grinsell (16), Theo Scarlet (17), Edward Boutwood (14 n.o.) and skipper Joe Turner (with 33 n.o.) as Ashford posted a respectable 106 for 5, from their 20 overs; whilst Finlay Beaman with 2 for 9 from his 4 overs and Ben Glossop ( 0 for 7 from 4) were comfortably the tightest of Manwood’s bowlers.

In reply the Manwood’s batsmen found it easier to penetrate the field and openers Beaman and Glossop settled into their stride. With the lightning fast outfield, shots placed through the gaps frequently found the fence and Manwood’s achieved their target in the 14th over, without loss, with Beaman posting a fine half century (53 n. o.) and Glossop (37 n. o.).

A “tough day at the office” for the Ashford bowlers although Ebrihim Rashid with 14 runs from 3 overs and Grinsell with 17 from 3, made great efforts to keep the brakes applied.

Our thanks, of course, go to Rodmersham CC and the umpires William Arnold and Terry Lister.


U19 League Final Report, 2015

Sibton Park, hosting their first Kent Schools’ event for many years, provided the delightful setting on, reputedly, the hottest day in a decade. An administrative delay put the start back to 1 pm and the match was reduced to 35 overs, each side.

The final got under way with Sir Roger Manwood’s batting, as Langley Park set about the unenviable task of fielding during the hottest part of the day.  It’s a credit to both sides that the standard of bowling and fielding throughout was very good.

Manwood’s openers Jake Ling (35) and skipper Ollie Collins (46) gave their innings a firm foundation with an opening stand of 64. On a good track and fast outfield, Shazib Rana (24 runs from 6 overs) and Seth Tyler (30 from 7) stood out in the Langley attack.

With wickets in hand, for the last 15 overs, Alex Smith scored a fairly brisk 50 and the middle order maintained the momentum with Manwood’s closing on 201 for 4, from  their allotted overs.

This was a gettable total, on such a good pitch with a fast outfield and Langley set about the chase with a sense of purpose. A steady start was punctured when Owen Walton (2 for 19 from 6 overs) found the edge of an opener and when Alex Smith (3 for 16 from 7) joined the attack a couple more quick wickets put Langley on the back foot. At 56 for 6, it looked all over, but Seth Tyler and Sam Parke mounted a dogged stand of 37. When Sam was run out, however, by a sharp piece of fielding, it became merely a matter of time before the innings closed, on 106, with Manwood’s skipper, Collins, returning 3 for 17 from 6 overs.

On the face of it a comfortable win for Manwood’s although the neutral spectators know it was a much tougher match that the scores suggest.

Our thanks go to Sibton Park CC for their excellent hospitality and to umpires David Lapthorne & Terry Lister who remained calm and metaphorically cool, on such a very hot day.


Lemon Cup Final Report, 2015

A warm day with some cloud cover and the hint of a possible shower, at Upchurch, set up the tantalising prospects for a return encounter between the U19 League Finalists, from the previous Wednesday, Langley Park and Sir Roger Manwood’s.

With the match set at 40 overs each side, Langley batted first; with a clear determination to improve on their previous encounter. Largely it was another day for batsmen to play strokes and bowlers to work hard to keep the runs down. Following some previous days’ rain the outfield was a little slower, to start with, than for this season’s previous finals. Langley’s top & middle order showed application and determination as Miles Braithwaite (43), Jack McGruer (44) and Josh Lawrence (34 n.o.) laid the foundations of a good total. Ollie Collins (3 for 42 from 8 overs) took wickets at crucial times and with the late order trying to hit the ball, rather than nurdle it around, Langley finished on 175 all out, in the 39th over, in the face of steady fielding pressure from the Manwood’s side, who took some very good catches.

After lunch Manwood’s got off to a steady start, in the best sun of the day, with an eye to gradual acceleration, once a platform had been established. Jake Ling played some fine shots as he built his innings, despite the loss of his opening partner and also of “star” batsman, Alex Smith. Good bowling from Seth Tyler (25 runs from 8 overs) and Josh Lawrence (34 from 7), who did not get the “rub of the green”, kept things tense for the whole of the second innings. Ling gradually approached his maiden century and he received, latterly, some belligerent support from Rory Smith (38 n.o.) as Manwood’s reached their target in the 38th over, with Ling undefeated on 107.

A very closely contested final, with Langley, for the second consecutive year, finishing as runners up, but congratulations to Sir Roger Manwood’s on achieving “the double”.

Our thanks go to Upchurh CC for the fine wicket and outfield, as well as to umpires Colin Hill and Jonathan Patterson.